Error when connecting to PFSense Firewall: OpenVPN2.5.1

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
vwco
OpenVpn Newbie

Error when connecting to PFSense Firewall: OpenVPN2.5.1

Post by vwco » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:02 pm

hi everyone
I have a user that until yesterday was able to connect to our PFSense firewall using the most recent OpenVPN client application (2.5.1). Now when he attempts to connect, he receives a popup with the following error message: "Connecting to Management Interface Failed". In the OpenVPN connection window there is also the following message: "CreateFile for stdout. The system cannot find the file specified".
The initial Popup window does point me to a log file located in C:\Users\myuser\OpenVPN\log\xxxxx.log but when I review the log file it does not contain any relevant information. Instead it looks like it contains log data from the last time the user was able to connect (i.e. from a few days ago).
I tried uninstalling OpenVPN, deleting any folders left behind, then rebooting and reinstalling. So far I cannot get him back up and running.
We do have multiple users that are able to connect without issue so I am fairly confident the issue is not with our firewall.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

vwco
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Error when connecting to PFSense Firewall: OpenVPN2.5.1

Post by vwco » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:35 pm

Just a quick update on this: The user is still having this problem. We have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the OVPN client multiple times without success. Has anyone else seen an issue like this? It's strange as I've been using OpenVPN for years and it's always been rock solid. I'm wondering if its an issue with the user's PC but I am not able to really find any pertinent information about the error online.
Any help would be appreciated!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Error when connecting to PFSense Firewall: OpenVPN2.5.1

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:13 pm

My crystal ball says: firewall ..