older version of OpenVPN Connect cannot be removed

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
roydoherty
OpenVpn Newbie

older version of OpenVPN Connect cannot be removed

Post by roydoherty » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:42 pm

I have removed a previous version of OpenVPN connect from a Windows 10 PC and I am trying to install v2.6. However there seems to some memory of the previous version laying around and it is preventing the new install.

I get the following errors:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" Click OK to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package openvpn-connect2.5.0.136_signed.msi.

When I cancel out of that it says "The older version of OpenVPN Connect cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

I removed the old version cleanly (or so I thought) using Programs and Features. There is probably something stuck in the registry somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

tfk11
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: older version of OpenVPN Connect cannot be removed

Post by tfk11 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:28 am

I'm probably far too late but hopefully someone finds this info useful because I had the same problem and it was really annoying not being able to install updates.

After searching through the registry for "openvpn" and deleting all matching keys and deleting files matching "openvpn" from both /program files and /users to no avail I used a program called "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" to delete an installer who's name started with "openvpn".

After using the utility the openvpn connect installer stopped asking for the missing msi from the old version and the new version of openvpn connect installed normally and is now working.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: older version of OpenVPN Connect cannot be removed

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:57 am

And all because .. Windblows is just that bad.