TAP-Windows driver install problems - use TAP-Windows 9.21.2

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
GDowning14
OpenVpn Newbie

TAP-Windows driver install problems - use TAP-Windows 9.21.2

Post by GDowning14 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 am

On a fresh, new install of Windows 7 Home premium (no other software installed, no antivirus, etc), installed openvpn-install-2.4.7-I607-Win7 and noted the following issues:

1. OpenVPN appeared to install successfully - no errors or exceptions noted during install of OpenVPN, TAP-Windows (or the .Net 4.0 required runtime). Copied a known good configuration and attempted to connect to my VPN server (server is functional and have several other clients connected). Loading of unsigned drivers has been enabled on this system.
2. Received the "No available TAP-Windows Adapters" error message
3. Searching for cause of this issue suggested:
a. Re-install - did this as administrator - both the full package and just TAP-Windows - no success.
b. Manually add a second adapter using the "addtap.bat" utility. Did this as administrator, addtap reported success but still receive the same error.
c. Also found suggestions to disable/re-enable the TAP adapter in the Control Panel. And here is where I noticed another issue - THERE WERE NO TAP ADAPTERS IN THE CONTROL PANEL. As there were no adapters, they could not be disabled/enabled. In looking at the device manager, the TAP adapters were visible there (both the original and the second added in 3.b) but they are not visible in the Control Panel.
4. This pointed to an issue with TAP-Windows install and so I downloaded an older version (9.21.2). I uninstalled the 9.23.3 version that came bundled with the above noted OpenVPN installer and installed the old version. The old version installed with no errors and now, the TAP Adapter is visible in the Control Panel.
5. Retried connecting to my VPN server and life is good - connection successful with no problems reported.

It would appear that there is some change in the 9.23.3 version of TAP-Windows that has broken the installation process for at least some instances of Windows 7.

Thanks,

GD

Digika
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: TAP-Windows driver install problems - use TAP-Windows 9.21.2

Post by Digika » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:38 pm

I can confirm this.
Fresh Windows7x64 as a VBox guest, anything above TAP 9.21.2 fails.

pdiego.silva
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: TAP-Windows driver install problems - use TAP-Windows 9.21.2

Post by pdiego.silva » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 am

I can also confirm, Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, only TAP 9.21.1 worked.

You sir just saved my life, I had no idea about this, always install on Win 10 and sometimes XP but never before on a 7, I was imagining crazy shits here.