Getting started with OpenVPN

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Getting started with OpenVPN

Post by Kartik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am just getting started with OpenVPN. I have few questions, please do give your valuable feedback/answers as you have a lot experience and know a lot more:

-How is Openvpn related to TLS VPN ?
-Is there any difference between TLS VPN and OpenVPN?
-In order to practically implement OpenVPN, I where so I need to install server. Can you please give a me a example of a vpn setup, like where is server and where is client and how does everything works?
-Can I install a OpenVPN server on Windows 7 or it can be installed only on a Windows server OS ?
-Can you guide me to a good book, where OpenVPN is explained in a very simplified manner.

I really want to know about it, please drop in your answers!!

Thank you.

Kartik

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Getting started with OpenVPN

Post by krzee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am

Kartik wrote: -How is Openvpn related to TLS VPN ?
OpenVPN is a SSL / TLS VPN.
Kartik wrote: -Is there any difference between TLS VPN and OpenVPN?
OpenVPN uses SSL / TLS via openssl, but any other software is also able to use it.
Kartik wrote: -In order to practically implement OpenVPN, I where so I need to install server. Can you please give a me a example of a vpn setup, like where is server and where is client and how does everything works?
The config file determines which instance of openvpn is a client and which is a server, the software itself remains the same on both sides. An example of a basic openvpn setup where 2 hosts communicate over a secure channel and nothing else (no inet over the vpn, no lans over the vpn) is here: http://www.ircpimps.org/openvpn.configs
Kartik wrote: -Can I install a OpenVPN server on Windows 7 or it can be installed only on a Windows server OS ?
It does not need to be a server version of windows. People run it on XP, win7, etc.
Kartik wrote: -Can you guide me to a good book, where OpenVPN is explained in a very simplified manner.
The best resources I can point to are the howto and the manual
howto: http://www.openvpn.net/howto
manual: http://www.openvpn.net/man-beta
While they might not seem simplified, they are. Very little of the troubles people encounter as actually due to openvpn, and usually are due to a lack of understanding the networking they want to use with openvpn.

Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Kartik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Krzee,

Thank you so much for your help.

I shall look into the reference document you have pointed to.

Thank you.

Kartik

Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Kartik » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 am

Hi,

I downloaded openvpn latest version for Windows: openvpn-2.1.1-install.exe
I installed it on XP

After installation, I run the the Gui given in the package.

My aim : I want to set up a VPN server and connect my client to the server!!

After all this, all I see is small icon (2 red comp. connected with a globe) on right side panel and when I right click on it I get "proxy settings". If a click on proxy settings I see a pop that has three options with radio box (I can only select one):
1. Use OpenVPN Config-file Settings
2. Use Internet Explorer Settings (manually configured)
3. Manual Configuration

What should I do Next ?

Please help!!

Kartik

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm

none of the above
if your goal is only to have a secure connection between the 2 machines, you have no reason to play with proxy settings.
what makes you think you want to change proxy settings?
-krzee