Getting started with OpenVPN

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.
Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Getting started with OpenVPN

Post by Kartik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am just getting started with OpenVPN. I have few questions, please do give your valuable feedback/answers as you have a lot experience and know a lot more:

-How is Openvpn related to TLS VPN ?
-Is there any difference between TLS VPN and OpenVPN?
-In order to practically implement OpenVPN, I where so I need to install server. Can you please give a me a example of a vpn setup, like where is server and where is client and how does everything works?
-Can I install a OpenVPN server on Windows 7 or it can be installed only on a Windows server OS ?
-Can you guide me to a good book, where OpenVPN is explained in a very simplified manner.

I really want to know about it, please drop in your answers!!

Thank you.

Kartik

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Getting started with OpenVPN

Post by krzee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am

Kartik wrote: -How is Openvpn related to TLS VPN ?
OpenVPN is a SSL / TLS VPN.
Kartik wrote: -Is there any difference between TLS VPN and OpenVPN?
OpenVPN uses SSL / TLS via openssl, but any other software is also able to use it.
Kartik wrote: -In order to practically implement OpenVPN, I where so I need to install server. Can you please give a me a example of a vpn setup, like where is server and where is client and how does everything works?
The config file determines which instance of openvpn is a client and which is a server, the software itself remains the same on both sides. An example of a basic openvpn setup where 2 hosts communicate over a secure channel and nothing else (no inet over the vpn, no lans over the vpn) is here: http://www.ircpimps.org/openvpn.configs
Kartik wrote: -Can I install a OpenVPN server on Windows 7 or it can be installed only on a Windows server OS ?
It does not need to be a server version of windows. People run it on XP, win7, etc.
Kartik wrote: -Can you guide me to a good book, where OpenVPN is explained in a very simplified manner.
The best resources I can point to are the howto and the manual
howto: http://www.openvpn.net/howto
manual: http://www.openvpn.net/man-beta
While they might not seem simplified, they are. Very little of the troubles people encounter as actually due to openvpn, and usually are due to a lack of understanding the networking they want to use with openvpn.

Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Kartik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Krzee,

Thank you so much for your help.

I shall look into the reference document you have pointed to.

Thank you.

Kartik

Kartik
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Kartik » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 am

Hi,

I downloaded openvpn latest version for Windows: openvpn-2.1.1-install.exe
I installed it on XP

After installation, I run the the Gui given in the package.

My aim : I want to set up a VPN server and connect my client to the server!!

After all this, all I see is small icon (2 red comp. connected with a globe) on right side panel and when I right click on it I get "proxy settings". If a click on proxy settings I see a pop that has three options with radio box (I can only select one):
1. Use OpenVPN Config-file Settings
2. Use Internet Explorer Settings (manually configured)
3. Manual Configuration

What should I do Next ?

Please help!!

Kartik

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm

none of the above
if your goal is only to have a secure connection between the 2 machines, you have no reason to play with proxy settings.
what makes you think you want to change proxy settings?
-krzee