Verify the OpenVPN developer's signature and the integrity of OpenVPN with Gnupg

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
CreativPiu
OpenVpn Newbie

Verify the OpenVPN developer's signature and the integrity of OpenVPN with Gnupg

Post by CreativPiu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Good evening,

I have just joined this forum, because, having to install on my desktop PC (with S.O. Windows 10 Pro) OPENVPN to create an encrypted tunnel with which to access remotely (from smartphone) the ipcam of the LAN, I would need a step by step help to verify the authenticity of the installation file of OpenVPN through Gnupg!

https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

How should Gnupg be used to verify that the file downloaded from the internet is the same as the original made available by the developer? And how to be sure of the developer's identity? I understand that the developer of OpenVPN has created a public key (which I do not know how to use and which servers you download from) and signed the checksum with the private key, but it is not clear to me how I can verify on Windows 10 pro the installation package of OpenVPN through GpG.

If you can summarize the mechanism of operation of Gpg and the steps I have to take to make sure that the downloaded program is the original one created by the developer of OpenVPN and therefore is not counterfeit.

Also what is the difference between using Gpg and using the utilities for calculating and comparing hashes, like this utility: IgorWare.

Thank you

good evening

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A3003 utilizzando Tapatalk

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Verify the OpenVPN developer's signature and the integrity of OpenVPN with Gnupg

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:34 pm

The page you link to has the information you seek.

CreativPiu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Verify the OpenVPN developer's signature and the integrity of OpenVPN with Gnupg

Post by CreativPiu » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm

TinCanTech wrote:The page you link to has the information you seek.
Thank you very much

Good Sunday

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A3003 utilizzando Tapatalk