Is there a COMPLETE setup guide for Windows 10?

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Ano Nymous
OpenVpn Newbie

Is there a COMPLETE setup guide for Windows 10?

Post by Ano Nymous » Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm

I've spent hours reading various guides to setting up OpenVPN server on Windows 10 and at every step of the way there is something either missing or some mention of something else which requires further research. Nothing seems to be a complete start-to-finish setup guide and it's incredibly frustrating.
I know quite a bit about networking, I've been setting up small networks and even some pretty big VPNs for almost 20 years but there is stuff with this that seems to be either passed over, barely hinted about, or knowledge that is just assumed to be in place.

So... is there some complete guide somewhere that details step-by-step installation and doesn't gloss over anything or require any hunting for other resources? Even with some experience and background this has been like trying to learn a foreign language without benefit of hearing the words pronounced.

Examples of what I've run in to:
1. You need easy-rsa folder but it isn't installed by default.
2. On one attempted installation easy-rsa folder was read-only which resulted in lots of errors.
3. What sort of restrictions with your ISP may prevent OpenVPN from running and how do you tell if they are in place?
4. Are there routers that are known to be incompatible for any reason?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Is there a COMPLETE setup guide for Windows 10?

Post by TinCanTech » Mon May 28, 2018 10:15 pm

There are no such guides.

For example:
Ano Nymous wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm
4. Are there routers that are known to be incompatible for any reason?
Shall we test every router ?

It is simply not possible to provide the level of support, which you apparently require, in advance,

So just ask questions ..

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !

And don't forget the HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition

And I forgot about this guide: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... dows_Guide

:mrgreen:
Last edited by TinCanTech on Tue May 29, 2018 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ano Nymous
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Ano Nymous » Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:15 pm
Shall we test every router ?
Obviously not however it is a perfectly simple matter to list models that have been encountered that don't test well - but that's just one tiny example of missing information.
The comment about the level of support required is typical of this sort of project - if you want it to remain a tiny niche item then keep criticizing anyone who needs any level of hand-holding. If you want it to become widely accepted be welcoming and encouraging. We weren't all created as computer wizards or people who revel in arcane details and knowledge. Not all of us have the time or inclination to learn an entire library of information to do ONE job out of the 40 or so on our plate at any given time. Some of us just search for products that work so we can get on with the important things in life.

BTW these comments are coming from someone with 20+ years of computer experience including some pretty big networks.

ecrist
Forum Team

Post by ecrist » Tue May 29, 2018 12:24 pm

With regard to simple port forwarding, we have not run into any real problem routers. Running a VPN server on Windows (any version) is going to be met with additional hurdles that are easier to travers on Linux or another *nix OS (I prefer FreeBSD). I do cover quite a bit of setup in the book Jan Just Keisjer and I wrote, Mastering OpenVPN.

As far as the other comments, we do try to provide as much support as we can from a base of volunteers. If you're looking for something supported, take a look at the OpenVPN Access Server commercial product.
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 pm

There are some new guides here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26475

Ano Nymous
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Ano Nymous » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 am

So, in large part due to BBuckman's guide I now have a Windows 10 client connecting to a Windows 10 based server. Can't get the shared folder on the server to be accessible but will continue working on that as time permits.

goodfred
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by goodfred » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 am

I have the same question.
I have an old tutorial in which I need a clean-all.bat - which I cant find in the installation. (newest version)
In the official Howto https://openvpn.net/community-resources/how-to/ I dont have "init-config"

What would you suggest me to do if I want to install OpenVPN 2.5.3 completely fresh?
Is there any tutorial which I did not found?
Or can you help me in here for the installation?

Thank you for answers! :)

P.S.: I found this https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/vie ... on_Windows (which is working with 2.5.3!!)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 pm

goodfred wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 am
I dont have "init-config"
You are using Easy-RSA version 3. Please see:

Code: Select all

./easyrsa help

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 pm

how can 20 years networking cant make openvpn work for you? it is very strange if you have a lot that years and openvpn is very simple than ipsec or l2tp vpn. even you ask how to connect to windows share . openvpn have nothing to do with windows share over internet. that set up is difference and you must do it before you can connect to it.Openvpn only help you connect from point A to Point B that is all it does. if you want something to use it you need make it work for you.