Gui running but not visible.

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
net.admin
OpenVPN User

Gui running but not visible.

Post by net.admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 am

G'Day all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong group, but it's not a config issue, so thought here suited better.

I've searched and found I'm not alone in this problem, but so far I don't see a solution. If I've missed a post, please feel free to point me to it.

I'm running the latest stable openvpn release for Windows as at November '17. If I suspend or hibernate either of my travel laptops (Windows 7 ultimate and 10 professional - both 64bit with a ton of free space and ram), I most often will loose my openvpn icon from the system tray. If I try to relaunch it, I get the message that it's already running. When I check the task manager, I find it is running (though not reconnected - just sitting idle). I can only connect a vpn if I terminate the task or restart the laptop.

My question is; is this expected behavior? Is there another version of openvpn I should/could be using?

If I have to write a script to terminate and relaunch the process, then so be it. It's easy of course, but it's messy. I really don't want to be handing that out in production environment as a solution to the vanishing icon issue.

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers to all.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Gui running but not visible.

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Reading this, I was thinking "Windows 10 system tray ,, double hides Icons .. "
You understand; Windows 10 has the SysTray Icon where it hides icons and you hover over that to see what other programs *it* has decided to hide again ... but you also say the same for Win7 and I don't know if that does the same ?

Also, this is related to suspend/hibernate and I know openvpn has had trouble with resume in the past.

I recommend you report this to the openvpn-users mailing list where the developers will be able to advise you.
Openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net (subscription required)

Edit: Corrected links
Last edited by TinCanTech on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

net.admin
OpenVPN User

Re: Gui running but not visible.

Post by net.admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi TCT
Yep, I'm cool with how W10 hides the icons. :)
I'll follow your advice and see what we can figure out.
Cheers :)