Question regarding which IP is assigned to the clients

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
sbender
OpenVpn Newbie

Question regarding which IP is assigned to the clients

Post by sbender » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Hello,

I have a LAN with fixed IP addresses (no DHCP, IP are assigned manually, we use 192.168.33.x).
A few laptops have OpenVPN clients and can connect to the LAN from home. This works fine when e.g. connecting to a web service.
However, they are assigned 10.8.x.x addresses, which in some cases causes trouble (a few use cases require outbound connections from a central cerver to the client, those connections fail because the client is expected to have the internal IP 192.168.33.x).

Is it possible to let the OpenVPN server assign the same 192.168.33.x to a client that the client uses when being locally connected?
In other words: If a client "laptop10" uses 192.168.33.10 locally, I want it to use 192.168.33.10 over OpenVPN as well.

I can assure that the clients do not connect from within other 192.168.33.x networks, so no network collisions should occur.

Thank you!