even after going through a lot of posts here (like the fixed one started by samuli) and on other places on the internet I still cannot get TAP to install properly. My last hope is that somebody is kind enough to help me through the process especially since many tips that I found appear to be for WIN10 or WIN8 which leaves me a bit lost whether or not they apply to my situation (WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate).
Here's the log of the installation tool (yes, I ran it as an administrator):
We are running on a 64-bit system.
Output folder: C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
Extract: tapinstall.exe... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver
Extract: OemVista.inf... 100%
Extract: tap0901.cat... 100%
Extract: tap0901.sys... 100%
Output folder: C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows
Extract: license.txt... 100%
Extract: icon.ico... 100%
tapinstall.exe hwids returned: 0
TAP install (tap0901) (May require confirmation)
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed...
Updating drivers for tap0901 from C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemVista.inf.
UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices failed, GetLastError=5
tapinstall.exe returned: 2
tapinstall.exe cumulative status: 2
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\Uninstall.exe
A quick recap of what I tried so far:
- removed COMODO (CIS) & MBAM (no, I never had Kapersky installed)
- switched off MSE
- removed (if present) any old or failed TAP drivers
- stopped Windows Update service prior to installation of TAP
- cleaned the registry and also applied the tool ifcleanup.x64.exe
- I did NOT succed in applying a tip that required me to change the permission rights to the file rundll32.exe because I couldn't change the rights (WIN wouldn't let me save the new rights)
I am happy to provide more information if you let me know what you need (and how to find it in case of any log files etc.).
Thanks so much in advance,