cannot ping vpn server in simple vpn setup

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
jfayre
OpenVpn Newbie

cannot ping vpn server in simple vpn setup

Post by jfayre » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:30 am

Hello,
I am an extreme newbie to OpenVPN. I am trying to set up a simple vpn with my Windows XP netbook as the client and a pc on my home network as the server. I am using the example configurations in the howto. I have port 1194 UDP forwarded on my home router. When I start OpenVPN on the server, it comes up with no errors.
When I connect with the client, I also get no errors. I can them ping the client IP address (10.8.0.6) from the server. However, I cannot ping the server (10.8.0.1) from the client. The Windows Firewall is turned off on both machines. The server is Windows 7 and the client is Windows XP. I am using the latest version of openvpn from the website. Any ideas?

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: cannot ping vpn server in simple vpn setup

Post by Douglas » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am

jfayre wrote:Hello,
I am an extreme newbie to OpenVPN. I am trying to set up a simple vpn with my Windows XP netbook as the client and a pc on my home network as the server. I am using the example configurations in the howto. I have port 1194 UDP forwarded on my home router. When I start OpenVPN on the server, it comes up with no errors.
When I connect with the client, I also get no errors. I can them ping the client IP address (10.8.0.6) from the server. However, I cannot ping the server (10.8.0.1) from the client. The Windows Firewall is turned off on both machines. The server is Windows 7 and the client is Windows XP. I am using the latest version of openvpn from the website. Any ideas?
Please paste configs and logfiles..