Issues with Open VPN Setup

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Phylox
OpenVpn Newbie

Issues with Open VPN Setup

Post by Phylox » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Setup: 3 computers in the office running off of 3 different IP's.

One is connected to a router - ComputerA
The other two is connected to the Business Modem - ComputerB & ComputerC

I have OpenVPN setup on the computer that is going to be on most of the time - ComputerA which is the computer that's connected to the router.

I basically am using one of the computers thats connected to the Business Modem as a test dummy (ComputerB) before I try it on Computer C.

So what I ultimately want to do is be able to share network folders, share printer between all 3. ComputerB & C would act as clients, and computerA would be the server. Whenever anything prints from computer B or C, it would use the printer thats setup on computerA and send it through that.

So here's the dilemma. I did the setup for openvpn on computerA as a server and setup openvpn as a client on computerB. I'm not touching computerC until I make sure I can get computerA & b to talk to each other. I can ping computerB from computerA just fine using the IP's openvpn created. I can also see the network folders somewhat if I browse for it but it doesn't actually come up when I click on my network folders. I have to browse for when I go to add network places.

That's one issue, then the other one is how to actually go about in setting up the printer on it so that it sends it over to computerA.

I have two different computer names for ComputerA & ComputerB. Even though I am able to manually add shared folders from ComputerA into my network places, when I view my network places on ComputerB, I don't see ComputerA as one of the computer names, just the local computer name under the workgroup.

I have ComputerA's Printer with Sharing Enabled labeled as OfficePrinter. I went on Computer B, went to add a printer, network printr, then entered in the location manually.

\\10.8.0.1\OfficePrinter

Not found :-(.

Some things to note to aid in troubleshooting:
*All firewalls disabled.
*File & Printing sharing is enabled.
*Printer is on a print server.
*Printer IP on ComputerA is accessed using 192.168.0.10 on port 9100 configured using TCP/IP port under Printers in Windows CPANEL
*Server IP(ComputerA) is 10.8.0.1 (openvpn ip)
*Client IP(ComputerB) is 10.8.0.6 (openvpn ip)
*Both server(computerA) & client(computerB) can ping each other's openvpn ip.
*ComputerB can find shared folders from computerA by manually adding it in my network places under this location \\10.8.0.1\

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Issues with Open VPN Setup

Post by krzee » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 am

Phylox wrote: *All firewalls disabled.
*File & Printing sharing is enabled.
*Printer is on a print server.
*Printer IP on ComputerA is accessed using 192.168.0.10 on port 9100 configured using TCP/IP port under Printers in Windows CPANEL
*Server IP(ComputerA) is 10.8.0.1 (openvpn ip)
*Client IP(ComputerB) is 10.8.0.6 (openvpn ip)
*Both server(computerA) & client(computerB) can ping each other's openvpn ip.
*ComputerB can find shared folders from computerA by manually adding it in my network places under this location \\10.8.0.1\
give the server config
push "route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0"
Enable IP forwarding on ComputerA since you use windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236
on the router ComputerA uses, tell it that 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0 can be accessed at 192.168.0.10

for browsing by NETBIOS name look into running a WINS server on ComputerA and giving the server an option to have windows clients use that
push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.0.10"