Service dont work after upgrade.

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.
Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
a_roman
OpenVpn Newbie

Service dont work after upgrade.

Post by a_roman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 am

I have OpenVPN server on Ubuntu 18.04 . I install it from webmin module before.
After the upgrade(only install updates) and reboot , I received an error loading the configuration of which is not. From directory \etc\openvpn\server.conf .
in this directory I have another configuration file that is created from the webmin environment. I got this information from syslog.
This file was not previously, since I did not create it.Because webmin allows you to create conf file for server.
Is this path standard and where is it written?

This event led to the fact that within 3 hours the openvpn service could not start correctly and accessed this file. Restarting the service from a certain time allowed to boot correctly.

How can I correct this situation in the future?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Service dont work after upgrade.

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:24 pm

What upgrade precisely ?

a_roman
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by a_roman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 pm

А package update was launched.
After the restart, error messages appeared.
the service is currently running, but the error is being written to syslog.
i start openvpn with command : /etc/init.d/openvpn start

if you look at the status of the work, then the following situation:
systemctl status openvpn@server.service

<● openvpn@server.service - OpenVPN connection to server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openvpn@.service; indirect; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-10-28 17:18:06 MSK; 1s ago
Docs: man:openvpn(8)
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... n24ManPage
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/HOWTO
Process: 22635 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon ovpn-server --status /run/openvpn/server.status 10 --cd /etc/openvpn --script-security 2 --config /etc/openvpn/server.conf --writepid /run/openvpn/server.pid (code=exited, status=1/FA
Main PID: 22635 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

окт 28 17:18:06 openvpn systemd[1]: openvpn@server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
окт 28 17:18:06 openvpn systemd[1]: openvpn@server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
окт 28 17:18:06 openvpn systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVPN connection to server.
>

/etc/init.d/openvpn status

<● openvpn.service - OpenVPN service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openvpn.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Mon 2019-10-28 08:54:48 MSK; 4h 24min ago
Process: 1019 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1019 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

>

If view process then:
ps aux | grep openvpn
nobody 994 0.0 0.3 45260 7656 ? Ss 08:54 0:04 /usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon ovpn-vpn-01-yarcloud-ru --status /run/openvpn/vpn-01-yarcloud-ru.status 10 --cd /etc/openvpn --script-security 2 --config /etc/openvpn/vpn-01-yarcloud-ru.conf --writepid /run/openvpn/vpn-01-yarcloud-ru.pid
root 22745 0.0 0.0 14356 1144 pts/0 S+ 17:21 0:00 grep --color=auto openvpn

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:26 pm

You are using systemd so you should be using systemctl to control your processes not /etc/init.d/openvpn

a_roman
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by a_roman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:02 am

Do you see that the configuration that I specified is not starting correctly?
/etc/openvpn/server.conf from systemd
and / etc / openvpn / vpn -...
The latter is my server configuration.
So how will the launch occur if systemd accesses another config?
--
I looked at the startup method and realized my error:
openvpn-client - means to run the config from the folder / etc / openvpn / client, and @client means to run the config called client. Accordingly, in the same way, we can upload all the files to the server folder and start with the systemctl start openvpn-server @ client command.

If I execute the command systemctl status openvpn @ server.service, then I start the server from the config "server" (server.conf)
----------
is't it?
I also forgot to add that I have 2 instances running for some reason. This is actively written in the log. where is mistake here?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm

OpenVPN has changed the way it uses systemd unit files and consequently there is some confusion.

You need to use the following unit files:
  • Client config files belong in /etc/openvpn/client and use openvpn-client@.service

Code: Select all

systemctl start openvpn-client@my-client
  • Server config files belong in /etc/openvpn/server and use openvpn-server@.service

Code: Select all

systemctl start openvpn-server@my-server
Replace my-client and my-server with the file name of your config file without the .conf extension.