Testing routing

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
schnibitz
OpenVpn Newbie

Testing routing

Post by schnibitz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have OpenVPN up and running on a centos machine, and installed on a Win7 client machine as a client. I can connect from the client to the centos machine no problem, and it seems to acquire the routing stuff that I set up in the .conf file.

So I want to test to make sure that my traffic is going through that centos machine. The Centos machine and the windows machine are on my internal network, as is a webserver I'm messing with. I thought that if I were to access that internal webserver with the client, while it is connected to the centos machine, that traffic should show on the webserver logs the IP of the centos machine. It doesn't, but in re-examining my assumptions that test won't work right? Because the webserver is also on the same subnet as the client machine.

I've tried running netstat commands on both the client and server when opening CNN.com, or other type sites, but that doesn't show anything different that I can tell.

So I'm back to square one. How do I know that my traffic is going through the centos machine, and not directly out to the internet for internet traffic?

-S

schnibitz
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Testing routing

Post by schnibitz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I think I figured it out. I removed the gateway address from the physical adapter on my windows machine. In theory, having done that, I should not have internet access if VPN wasn't working, yet I'm replying to this forum post. So to me it seems to be working. Does that seem right?

-M

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Testing routing

Post by janjust » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 pm

if you want to know if your traffic is going through the tunnel go to a website like http://www.whatismyip.com