VPN as service with Windows 2008 R2 not working

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Xerum
OpenVpn Newbie

VPN as service with Windows 2008 R2 not working

Post by Xerum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello,

i am using openvpn for a while now. First with a windows 2003 r2 and now with a windows 2008 r2 server. Got 2 vpn server running, one with routing and one as a bridge. They start as a service under the local administrator. Windows firewall is running. The routing server creates a route between my vpn net (10.0.0.0) and my lan (192.168.0.0). My hardware router has a route from the lan to the vpn net.

When I restart the 2k8 R2 server, log in to the routing server and try to ping my server on his vpn or lan ip, I get timeouts. To solve this problem I must stop the service and start openvpn with the cmd. Now it works perfect, I can close the vpn window and start openvpn again as service.

Here 2 screens of my routing table:

1. Routing table after server restart, openvpn started as a service (not working)

2. Routing table after server restart, started over cmd (working)

I have this problem for 2-3 weeks now and do not know how to fix it. Did not change anything in my vpn config file or reconfiguered my firewall. I can activate or deactivate it, nothing changes.

Hope someone can help me.

krzee
Forum Team

Re: VPN as service with Windows 2008 R2 not working

Post by krzee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 am

try adding this to the config

Code: Select all

route-delay

Xerum
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: VPN as service with Windows 2008 R2 not working

Post by Xerum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks, now it is working as a service after restarting the server.