MTUs, fragment, mssfix

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
giraffedata
OpenVpn Newbie

MTUs, fragment, mssfix

Post by giraffedata » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm trying to make sense of the whole packet size issue, and finding a lot of incomplete information. Can someone who understands enlighten me?

First, I read that sometimes connections just won't transmit large packets because of packet size issues, and I did see that once on my Openvpn link (the problem came, and then it went without me doing anything!). But why? IP fragmentation is supposed to transparently take care of too-big packets. I know there's the Don't Fragment IP flag, but does something in a typical Openvpn link use that? I would expect no, since it breaks things so badly.

But I do understand that packet size can affect speed, so all these controls have to exist nonetheless.

My second question is what is the difference between --link-mtu and --fragment?

lightman
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: MTUs, fragment, mssfix

Post by lightman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 am

i also wish for an good explenation, going crazy testing the multiple settings...