Windows Share Problem

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
upandacross
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows Share Problem

Post by upandacross » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 am

I'm working on getting a bridged connection in OpenVPN up on an Asus WL-520GU. I'm pretty much there but am having a Windows naming problem. My test bed was an OpenVPN server running on my XP desktop and a client on my XP laptop. My house has two DSL lines (one for biz, one for home) so I'm able to simulate requests from the WAN by connecting my laptop to the home DSL and my Asus to the biz DSL. Once it was working, I could drive around and play "Road Warrior" to see which hotspots would work for me. The setup finally settled down and I can ping, access shared printers or files, and clients can see clients, etc.

I then duplicated the server setup on the Asus, or at least that was the plan as some tweaking was needed. I'm now able to connect and ping back and forth. My laptop, as Road Warrior, can get to shared Windows resources but only as IP addresses, not by Windows names (eg 192.168.1.20 vs "Office Desktop"). Thus, My Network Places doesn't show both the laptop and desktop machines.

I've disabled the Windows firewalls and also disabled dd-wrt's SPI firewall. For good measure, I've put an iptable rule to accept udp traffic on the OpenVPN port (not the NetBIOS ports as the redirect-gateway def1 runs NetBIOS traffic through encrypted udp packets, right?). I've tried it with DNSMasq on and off. I tried it as router and a RIP2 router. The ntpd works, so certificate dates are not an issue.

Wireshark shows lots of NetBIOS traffic on both networks originating from all XP platforms. However, I'm not too good at parsing NetBIOS so I don't know if anything is being dropped but that's my suspicion. Also, I'm wondering if my desktop somehow functions as a WINS server since running the OpenVPN server on the desktop allows named host access of the windows network (rather than IP address access) while running the server on Asus only allows IP address access (rather than named access).

So many protocols, so little time.

BTW, I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) vpn.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Buckaroo Bonzai / Jon Kabat-Zinn
https://netpriori.com

dcross
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Windows Share Problem

Post by dcross » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:39 pm

I have the same problem, although I'm running an AS server connecting to a Windows domain.

I too can access shares and resources by IP address but not names.

Any ideas?

Regads, David.

dcross
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Windows Share Problem

Post by dcross » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Ok I've resolved this.

On "VPN Settings > Routing > Specify the private subnets to which all clients should be given access" I made the internal network entry more specific. It was 10.0.0.0/8 and I changed it to 10.1.1.0/24

Then further down under "DNS Settings" I selected "Have clients use these DNS servers:" and I specified the internal DNS servers on the network. I saved and updated the server and reconnected the client. I can now resolve computer names on the remote network.

Regards, David.