How to setup IPv6 on a VPS for OpenVPN?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
houmie75
OpenVPN Power User

How to setup IPv6 on a VPS for OpenVPN?

Post by houmie75 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:10 am

Hi guys,

I know there is the Angristan OpenVPN script that installs OpenVPN with Ipv6 support, but it never seem to work on a VPS. Because most VPS have only a single /128 IPv6 allocated instead of a range. And the range isn't routed either.

Hence an IPv6 ULA needs to be defined and masqueraded like IPv4. This is where I'm stuck. I don't quite understand how to do it and I can't find any tutorials for that. There are some discussions about using an ndppd proxy, but again not quite clear what needs to be done.

I would appreciate if someone could advice,
Many Thanks,

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: How to setup IPv6 on a VPS for OpenVPN?

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm

The same command as IPv4 for IPv6.

Code: Select all

ip6tables -t nat A POSTROUTING foo

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm

sigh, sad that so many providers failed to understand the goal of IPv6, to do away with IPv4 kludges like masquerading.

This is really not so much an openvpn issue as it is a question for the OS/distro of your VPS. Assuming Linux, you might try looking in the appropriate ip6tables(8) or nft(8) documentation, and asking on the Netfilter users mailing list.

What is your end goal, to redirect client IPv6 traffic through the VPN? You could look into a free tunnel service like HE.net's tunnelbroker service. I don't know how well that would function in the real world, but they've offered it for a long time.

hth, regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:37 pm

The debate regarding IPv6 NAT was resolved and NAT was added ..
Not a popular choice for some, very handy for others.