Slow openvpn server

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
alexg42
OpenVpn Newbie

Slow openvpn server

Post by alexg42 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am

Hello,

I wonder if I could get some advice on this, I'm pretty new to configuring openvpn, but I'm looking at a server I use at my workplace.

We use an openvpn server which fluctuates in speed a lot for the users. It was created by my predecessor and uses: OpenVPN 2.3.10 running on ubuntu,
library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2g 1 Mar 2016, LZO 2.08.

I've gone through the config file, and have select options online that I've read about make a difference, but most look fine. Usually the speed test when connected to the VPN is extremely low, sometimes around 1mb. We have a 1GB connection at the office, the server is connected using a fibre link. Users report that when copying to a storage server, it can be as slow as 200k/s and as fast as 2mb/s.

Looking at the server running the access, it doesn't seem to have much load on the CPU so I don't think it's a hardware bottleneck. Looking at the network data usage using nload, I can't see a huge amount back and forth either.

I was told it was originally built for just a couple of users, but since covid, we have a tonne of users at home, sometimes up to 20. Is OpenVPN still suitable for this amount of people? Is there anything I can do to increase the reliability, or look at another solution?

Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Slow openvpn server

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm

If you need professional assistance: tincantech at protonmail dot com