OpenVPN setup unique IP's for same config file

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
johnny1891
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN setup unique IP's for same config file

Post by johnny1891 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi!

Is it possible to configure in my ovpn setup that multiple people can use the same ovpn config file and get each a different IP address in the tun0 interface?

To setup ovpn, I used this https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/install-configure-openvpn-server-on-debian-9-linux/ if you are wondering

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN setup unique IP's for same config file

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:57 am

Johnny, to me this sounds like you're asking the wrong question. Why do you want everyone to share the same config? What do you do when one of those users gets compromised?

If it's just a matter of saving work, may I humbly suggest that you consider our OpenVPN Access Server product? It adds a lot of bells and whistles for busy administrators. Yes, it costs money for more than two simultaneous connections, but you can try it for free and see what you think. Sorry, we're not here to sell you stuff (and I myself am a very long-time user of the community software), but there are use cases where AS makes economic sense.

Re: the howto, I have not reviewed the one you used, but most of us here are familiar with the official howto, I can well recommend that one.

Regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

trideep
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN setup unique IP's for same config file

Post by trideep » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 am

johnny1891 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:17 pm
Is it possible to configure in my ovpn setup that multiple people can use the same ovpn config file and get each a different IP address in the tun0 interface?
That's possible by

Code: Select all

--duplicate-cn
in your server config. You should remember though that this setup has some limitations with regard to how you can use client specific settings (read: ccd directory).