Very slow connection speed

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
JRex
OpenVpn Newbie

Very slow connection speed

Post by JRex » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Hi all,

I recently set up OpenVPN on a Raspberry Pi 3 B, running UDP, and I've been having some issues. I set it up, and I could connect to it, but for whatever reason the internet speed I was getting connecting to the VPN on my Windows laptop was around 300 bytes in per second, and 500 bytes out per second, obviously insanely slow. I also tested the same thing using the OpenVPN software on my phone, and got the same result as above.

I tested the speed of the raspberry pi itself, not through the VPN, and I was getting a solid 50Mbps download, and about 10Mbps upload, what I would expect on my WiFi.

The CPU and RAM usage of my Raspberry Pi during a connection to it is usually under 5% (of all processes), so surely there is no throttling there.

My question is, what could be causing this severe restriction in transfer speed, if the Raspberry Pi has a fine internet connection, is not getting CPU throttled, and if I can connect to the VPN, just with very slow speeds?

Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Very slow connection speed

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:40 am

Did you check your Flux Capacitor ?

JRex
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by JRex » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:50 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:40 am
Did you check your Flux Capacitor ?
Wow no I didn't, what a great idea.

Am I missing some crucial information that lead to your response? I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, I am a 'newbie' here.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:57 pm

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 pm

Raspberry server can give you 5mb is if you config correct . your upload 10mb is high so something wrong to make it slow as that . I run openvpn on Raspberry 3 and it can up loan 50 mb so let check and do it again.