Openvpn client - connecting to hosts on client network

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
JoeriMichiels
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn client - connecting to hosts on client network

Post by JoeriMichiels » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 am

Hi,

We are running an Openvpn GUI Client v2.4 (https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ Windows 64-bit installer) on our client computer. This Openvpn client has been setup to connectsto our Openvpn server in our datacenter. The client is able to reach the hosts in the datacenter.

Now I’ve received the question if it’s possible that one of these hosts can reach a computer/host on the network of the client computer. I'm not sure if communication in the 'opposite' direction is possible ? Can the Openvn client receive requests coming from our datacenter and forward/nat/route it to the computer on the client network ? I've tried it and cannot make it work. If not possible can you provide your technical reasons ?

Let me know if this requires a specific setup on the Openvpn client computer, Openvpn server or hosts.

Many thanks

Best regards,

Joeri Michiels

OpenVPN Expert

Re: Openvpn client - connecting to hosts on client network

Post by 300000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm

JoeriMichiels wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 am
Hi,

We are running an Openvpn GUI Client v2.4 (https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ Windows 64-bit installer) on our client computer. This Openvpn client has been setup to connectsto our Openvpn server in our datacenter. The client is able to reach the hosts in the datacenter.

Now I’ve received the question if it’s possible that one of these hosts can reach a computer/host on the network of the client computer. I'm not sure if communication in the 'opposite' direction is possible ? Can the Openvn client receive requests coming from our datacenter and forward/nat/route it to the computer on the client network ? I've tried it and cannot make it work. If not possible can you provide your technical reasons ?

Let me know if this requires a specific setup on the Openvpn client computer, Openvpn server or hosts.

Many thanks

Best regards,

Joeri Michiels

Yes it can do that way and it can do that with openvpn . you need setting up site to site so every openvpn point will route to every subnet on both side . Just find out how site to site work and config that will do it for you.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Do not use "Site-to-site" .. it is an ambiguous term.

If you setup a site-to-site without using TLS then your setup will soon be deprecated and unsupported.

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:50 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm

If you setup a site-to-site without using TLS then your setup will soon be deprecated and unsupported.
I wrote very funny sentence about site to site and TSL . nothing on that relate at all and you know that . show me why TLS is deprecated and dont make up a story about that .

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:48 pm

300000 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:50 pm
TinCanTech wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm

I wrote very funny sentence about site to site and TSL . nothing on that relate at all and you know that . show me why TLS is deprecated and dont make up a story about that .
Until you can write a coherent sentence in English, do not expect anything from me ..

Re-read exactly what you have just written.

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm

The funny thing is you said site to site and TSL relate and will be deprecated but when I do ask you to show that out so everyone can read it but what? You answered by show my mistake in English.

How wonderful it is . People who come here to ask at least they know what is relationship and what TSL is. What site to site mean and how to setting up one.

Pandemic make people very poor now and they will try every trick to ask people pay for simlle setup . That is not working for free info on internet . People can ask to othe site if they cant find their answers in here.

What you tell me say wrong but you can't show me where that TSL Come to end .

They use. Openvpn version 2.4 and simple setup to trasfer video or media content dont need TSl but only static key is enough.they dont ask versions 2.5 or higher so what is site to site and TSL not support?

What they ask is how to make it work for them on their set up . Only site to site make that work for them and you just come in help nothing but make them confuse and dont give any answer for support at all .

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:23 pm

300000 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm
you said site to site and TSL relate and will be deprecated
No I did not.
300000 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm
you can't show me where that TSL Come to end
I did not say that either.

Please read what I did say.
  • All non-TLS mode will be deprecated and replaced by peer-fingerprint method.

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:26 pm

They use openvpn 2.4 version not new one and What they ask is how to make it work for them on their set up . Only site to site make that work for them and you just come in help nothing but make them confuse and dont give any answer for support at all .

They did not ask anything on TSL or static key use in future at all.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:19 pm

300000 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:26 pm
Only site to site make that work for them
Wrong again ..

Server-to-Multi-Client in Full TLS mode will do exactly what they want with proper security.