Bridging the client side to allow other devices access

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
majenak874
OpenVpn Newbie

Bridging the client side to allow other devices access

Post by majenak874 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 am

As the title says, I am running openVPN as a client in my laptop. Laptop is a Windows 10 machine.
I have created a bridge between the openVPN tap and the Ethernet adapter.
I am using wifi to have internet in this computer.
I want the devices connecting to the Ethernet port on my computer to access the VPN, and have internet access through the VPN.
I want to route all traffic through the VPN.

On the server side, also ruining windows 10, the tap adapter is bridge with the Ethernet adapter.
Server as local and internet access. IP addresses are assigned by a DHCP server that is on the router (gateway).

So far, all that I accomplished was:
The device connected to the Ethernet port on my laptop gets a DHCP issued IP (from the router on the server's side). I can access the LAN on the server side, but not the internet. The laptop itself seems to have internet and local access to the VPN.

For now I am testing with connecting another computer through my laptop's bridge, but my idea is to connect a set-top-box (IPTV box) using openVPN to tunnel through and access my home's gateway, so the box will work.

This is the openVPN client's configuration file:
The server file doesn't make use of any push commands.

Client Config
client
redirect-gateway def1 block-local
route-gateway dhcp
dev tap
dev-node MyTap
proto tcp
remote XXX.XXX.XXX.XX 1194
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert cliente.crt
key cliente.key
remote-cert-tls server
tls-auth ta.key 1
cipher AES-256-CBC
verb 3

Can't post the server's config right now, but it should be ok. And I say this because, when not using a bridge in the client side, all traffic gets routed through the VPN.

What I am trying to do is basically this: