Does running OpenVPN on your NAS create risk to your home network?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
new daddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Does running OpenVPN on your NAS create risk to your home network?

Post by new daddy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm

This is a really novice question.
I'm running OpenVPN from my Synology NAS.
The main purpose is to be able to log on to my home network, gain access to the media files and manage home automation while away.

Now, when I'm at a coffee shop and on their public WiFi, I establish VPN connection to my home, believing that it will protect me from snoopers.
Is this solid thinking?
Would this create, in any shape, way or form, a security risk to my home network, because I've established connection to my home network from a public Wifi?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Does running OpenVPN on your NAS create risk to your home network?

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

new daddy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm
when I'm at a coffee shop and on their public WiFi, I establish VPN connection to my home, believing that it will protect me from snoopers.
Is this solid thinking?
That is the idea ..
new daddy wrote:
Would this create, in any shape, way or form, a security risk to my home network, because I've established connection to my home network from a public Wifi?
Yes but it is fairly minimal risk, if you read the howto.

new daddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Does running OpenVPN on your NAS create risk to your home network?

Post by new daddy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:18 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am
new daddy wrote:
Yes but it is fairly minimal risk, if you read the howto.
Which part of the HowTo should I refer to? It's a long how-to and a little too complex for a beginner like me to navigate.