Where is the client VIP?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
TommyKL
OpenVPN User

Where is the client VIP?

Post by TommyKL » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Once I create a new client using the openvpn-install.sh script, where do I find out what its VIP is going to be?
It seems the only way I can find out is only after the client connects and then I look at the log.

Is there a way to know immediately after creation, even before the client connects or is it only assigned once the client connects for the first time?

Also, when clients are removed, when are those IPs re-used again?

Thank you.

TommyKL
OpenVPN User

Re: Where is the client VIP?

Post by TommyKL » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Not one person here knows the answer to this??

TommyKL
OpenVPN User

Post by TommyKL » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Anyone? I cannot find this information anywhere. Hoping someone here could help me, it's a simple question.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:30 pm

We do not support your script .. but, presuming it sets up a standard server, IPs are handed out as needed and reused when they become available. The server hands them out in numerical order.

TommyKL
OpenVPN User

Post by TommyKL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for the input.

As far as I understand it, the server is very standard.

First, I think you are saying that once we generate a cert for a client, that client will always have that IP so long as the cert is not removed?
Once removed, then the server will (eventually) re-use the IP?
This seems to be the case since the clients seem to always get the same IP unless a new cert was generated for it. It's just not 100% to me that this is how things are actually working.

However, my question is not exactly what. What I am asking is, where can I find out what IP a new cert or client has been assigned before it even connects for the first time?

I cannot seem to find that anywhere except once a client has connected.