Android and IPv6

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
lrobb
OpenVpn Newbie

Android and IPv6

Post by lrobb » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello All,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I've been running an OpenVPN server for a while now and I just got a new phone and can't connect. the OpenVPN server is part of a PFSense add-on so I have a lot of flexibility, but maybe not as much as a barebones OpenVPN server.

the issue I'm running into is connecting to the OpenVPN server over LTE. I know that the issue is related to IPv6 because my previous phone had the same issue until I told the phone to only connect to LTE over IPv4, but this phone does not allow me to change the APN settings. I will include a diagram below of the non-working scenario, and then another working scenario. I've looked at these forums and found that there are known issues with IPv6 and tried adding "udp4" to the configuration as well as tried multiple apps. I can get the phone to successfully authenticate and connect to the public IPv4 address but it won't route anything unless I'm on an IPv4 wifi network.

Non-Working Scenario
Android IPv6 LTE ----> Rogers modem -----> 192.168.0.0/24 ----> router ----> 10.1.1.64/28 OpenVPNServer

Working Scenario
Android -----> IPv4 Wifi Router -----> Rogers modem -----> 192.168.0.0/24 ----> router ----> 10.1.1.64/28 OpenVPNServer

I'm more than interested in trying anything at this point. I don't want to be picky, but I just want this to work.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Android and IPv6

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:30 pm