need help client to client

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
hotstufF
OpenVpn Newbie

need help client to client

Post by hotstufF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

I there,
Please forgive my bad english (if it is) I'm french.. I'm also autodydact (talking about openvpn and linux)...
I'hve implemented many openvpn servers (under debian ubuntu) that works fine from client to server. I had also implemented acces from clients to network behind openvpn server. That works fine too.
But I havent been able to do some client to client.
I folowed this tuto in order to make it work:

Including multiple machines on the client side when using a routed VPN (dev tun)
In a typical road-warrior or remote access scenario, the client machine connects to the VPN as a single
machine. But suppose the client machine is a gateway for a local LAN (such as a home office), and you
would like each machine on the client LAN to be able to route through the VPN.
For this example, we will assume that the client LAN is using the 192.168.4.0/24 subnet, and that the VPN
client is using a certificate with a common name of client2. Our goal is to set up the VPN so that any machine
on the client LAN can communicate with any machine on the server LAN through the VPN.
Before setup, there are some basic prerequisites which must be followed:
The client LAN subnet (192.168.4.0/24 in our example) must not be exported to the VPN by the server or any
other client sites which are using the same subnet. Every subnet which is joined to the VPN via routing must
be unique.
The client must have a unique Common Name in its certificate ("client2" in our example), and the duplicatecn
flag must not be used in the OpenVPN server configuration file.
First, make sure that IP and TUN/TAP forwarding is enabled on the client machine.
Next, we will deal with the necessary configuration changes on the server side. If the server configuration file
does not currently reference a client configuration directory, add one now:
Code :
client-config-dir ccd
In the above directive, ccd should be the name of a directory which has been pre-created in the default
directory where the OpenVPN server daemon runs. On Linux this tends to be /etc/openvpn and on Windows
it is usually \Program Files\OpenVPN\config. When a new client connects to the OpenVPN server, the
daemon will check this directory for a file which matches the common name of the connecting client. If a
matching file is found, it will be read and processed for additional configuration file directives to be applied to
the named client.
The next step is to create a file called client2 in the ccd directory. This file should contain the line:
Code :
iroute 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0
This will tell the OpenVPN server that the 192.168.4.0/24 subnet should be routed to client2.
Next, add the following line to the main server config file (not the ccd/client2 file):
Code :
route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0
Why the redundant route and iroute statements, you might ask? The reason is that route controls the routing
from the kernel to the OpenVPN server (via the TUN interface) while iroute controls the routing from the
OpenVPN server to the remote clients. Both are necessary.
Next, ask yourself if you would like to allow network traffic between client2's subnet (192.168.4.0/24) and
other clients of the OpenVPN server. If so, add the following to the server config file.
client-to-client
push "route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0"
This will cause the OpenVPN server to advertise client2's subnet to other connecting clients.
The last step, and one that is often forgotten, is to add a route to the server's LAN gateway which directs
192.168.4.0/24 to the OpenVPN server box (you won't need this if the OpenVPN server box is the gateway
for the server LAN). Suppose you were missing this step and you tried to ping a machine (not the OpenVPN
server itself) on the server LAN from 192.168.4.8? The outgoing ping would probably reach the machine, but
then it wouldn't know how to route the ping reply, because it would have no idea how to reach
192.168.4.0/24. The rule of thumb to use is that when routing entire LANs through the VPN (when the VPN
server is not the same machine as the LAN gateway), make sure that the gateway for the LAN routes all
VPN subnets to the VPN server machine.
Similarly, if the client machine running OpenVPN is not also the gateway for the client LAN, then the gateway
for the client LAN must have a route which directs all subnets which should be reachable through the VPN to
the OpenVPN client machine.

The problem is, when I put hte push "route xxx.xxx.xxx.0 255.255.255.0" (mean the local client network range) in the server.conf, the client stoped to work, just like if there were a loop betwin the server and him.
If I comment back the route push line propely it works again but I have no acces betwin clients.
you must know i folowed the tuto in everything.

Questions:
- Is ther a mistake in this tuto?
- if the client to client is implemented, should I be able to touch some client machines in his local network range for (beside) the server himself?

Thanks for help

Pascal

blackhiden
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: need help client to client

Post by blackhiden » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:24 am

what subnet do you use?