bonding 2 VPNs together

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Skaperen
OpenVPN Power User

bonding 2 VPNs together

Post by Skaperen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:46 am

i am thinking about setting up 2 VPNs from a local computer that will have 0.0.0.0/0 routed to it, to a remote server, a VPS or maybe an AWS instance. we now have 2 internet providers but are only using one at a time. the static IP address is different for each provider so it should be easy enough to make 2 VPNs to the same remote server, with each IP being used on the local server. but how can i bond these 2 VPNs together so i am using both at the same time? both servers will be Linux.

maikcat
Forum Team

Re: bonding 2 VPNs together

Post by maikcat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am

zeroshell does that by using tap based vpn.

Michael.
Amiga 500 , Zx +2 owner
Long live Dino Dini (Kick off 2 Creator)

Inflammable means flammable? (Dr Nick Riviera,Simsons Season13)

"objects in mirror are losing"

Skaperen
OpenVPN Power User

Post by Skaperen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 am

it only mentions that it can do load balancing and failover. it does not say bonding. that suggests that it is not doing bonding to achieve load balancing and failover. with this level of capability, it could be mapping individual TCP connections to individual internet providers. with bonding, it could spread the traffic of a single TCP connection over 2 or more internet providers. the latter is what i am trying to achieve. plus, i want to achieve it using OpenVPN in a single host.

maikcat
Forum Team

Post by maikcat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am

i am also tempted to see how mlvpn works...

http://mlvpn.readthedocs.io/en/latest/openbsd.html

i would like to test it on top of 2 openvpn tunnels to see if its also working...

Michael.
Amiga 500 , Zx +2 owner
Long live Dino Dini (Kick off 2 Creator)

Inflammable means flammable? (Dr Nick Riviera,Simsons Season13)

"objects in mirror are losing"