Setup OpenVPN bonding?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ttVince
OpenVpn Newbie

Setup OpenVPN bonding?

Post by ttVince » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 pm

First, greetings to all - I'm new here...

My OpenVPN server runs on big datacenter-class hardware and a 10G network - it has no issues keeping up with the clients that connect to it. Problem is, some of the client systems are on slower networks, and sometimes they run out of steam. We're looking into upgrading some of these clients to hardware having multiple network interfaces, hoping to improve bandwidth and reliability. Both server and clients are Linux (Ubuntu).

I know there are lots of options for bonded networks with OpenVPN - can someone point me to a good HOWTO (or whatever) that explains the best approach?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Setup OpenVPN bonding?

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

A quick web search reveals your post here as the first post encompassing openvpn and bonding.
So I don't think there is a decent howto to follow.

There are openvpn books you can consider ..
I recommend asking about it on the mailing list where the authors of those books can best advise you.

Skaperen
OpenVPN Power User

Re: Setup OpenVPN bonding?

Post by Skaperen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 am

are you talking about bonding on the hardware interfaces or bonding on the virtual interfaces?