OpenVPN is connected, but cannot ping network devices from client

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
DevGirl73
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN is connected, but cannot ping network devices from client

Post by DevGirl73 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:54 pm

I am new to OpenVPN and I was going to setup a Raspberry Pi 4 to be my VPN. but then I realized that my router has OpenVPN server on it already. I set it up on my AN-300-RT-4L2W router according to these instructions: https://www.snapav.com/wcsstore/Extende ... NGuide.pdf
I used the AraknisDNS service for my DNS. When I connect from the client, I can see the client's Ip address on the account in the server, but I can't ping any network devices from the client and the internet passthrough is not working. Here are some of my environment details:
Server: Araknis Networks 300 Series Dual-WAN Gigabit VPN Router
Client: Windows 10 Home OS laptop & Android Galaxy S10

I haven't made any other changes to my router.

DevGirl73
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN is connected, but cannot ping network devices from client

Post by DevGirl73 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 am

Ok... correction. I can't ping my computers running windows firewall. I can ping everything else. I really don't know what to open up or how. I'm really out of my element so could use some help.

I think this is another issue... maybe worth a different thread. Internet traffic on the client isn't using the VPN either. I don't know how to pull logs from the openVPN server or client. My server came installed on my router.

DevGirl73
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DevGirl73 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm

I came in here to update that after turning my firewalls off on both the client and server briefly I was able to navigate to the shares on my Win10 desktop using the format of \\computername\share. I can also ssh to my Linux box so now I just have to figure out which firewall rules to change/add? I am clueless on that front. Any thoughts? I think I saw another thread with firewall rules in it. I'll search again.

The other issue I'm still having is that the client's internet connection is still not using the VPN. Is that a server or client issue? or both?
What do I do to route the internet traffic to the VPN?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm

DevGirl73 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm
The other issue I'm still having is that the client's internet connection is still not using the VPN
Read you router manual and also the openvpn howto. Again!

Disable your client firewall for all testing.