Host cannot resolve local names

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
paolo_ituk
OpenVpn Newbie

Host cannot resolve local names

Post by paolo_ituk » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:38 am

I have configured a PC on our local network as a host/connector in our OpenVPN Cloud account but when the OpenVPN connection is active the PC can no longer resolve the names of other PCs / Servers on the local network. PS I can ping the IP addresses fine.

I am guessing it requires some additional configuration but have no idea what that might be. Any ideas? Thank you.

rosede
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Host cannot resolve local names

Post by rosede » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Paolo_ituk

I was just wondering if you figured this out. I just signed up with OpenVPN Cloud with this exact scenario in mind. It took me a bit, but I figured out how to setup the network and connections to allow my local DNS resolution. If you're still needing assistance, let me know, and I can try to assist you.

Daryl

lciadmin
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lciadmin » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:20 pm

I really wish the person who figured this out had just let how he did it. Having this EXACT issue.

srtdesigns
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by srtdesigns » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 am

I too am having the same issue. Using OpenVPN Cloud, OpenVPN Connector installed on Server 2019 and OpenVPN Connect on client. The client can establish the connection and ping all computers on the local network. However, that is all it can do. Unable to access shares as it does not understand /find any computer names.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:29 pm

Hi all,

I don't actually work with Cloud, but I know DNS and can explain what happens. At home you're using your local router for DNS. It provides authoritative answers for your own local names, and does recursion (to fetch names) for zones it does not host.

Then you connect to Cloud with your OpenVPN Connect client, and Cloud pushes its own nameservers to you. It won't have any way to know your local DNS names unless that is configured.

I think the way to configure that is https://example.openvpn.com/settings/dns at the "Advanced Configuration" section, and add a DNS zone. Then the OpenVPN Cloud nameserver would know to consult your local nameserver for your local zones' names.

Note that would also require some routing or NAT configuration on your connector. I don't know how easy it is. Someone can try it out and let us know?

I will figure it out eventually, the problem being what I said at first, not working with Cloud. :)

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support