New Setup - Full Mesh - no communication between devices

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
Tempest8008
OpenVpn Newbie

New Setup - Full Mesh - no communication between devices

Post by Tempest8008 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi there!

I have a fresh, new setup of OpenVPN cloud.
I've created my users, configured their clients and have them connected.

They are getting IPs on the same subnet.

It's important they be able to communicate with each other. As I add other Users it's important that THEIR systems be able to communicate with each other, both on UDP and TCP. I have Full Mesh enabled on the network (that's by default) so they SHOULD be able to ping each other and broadcast UDP onto the network and listen for those packets.

They can't.

Neither client can 'see' the other. A ping IMMEDIATELY produces a "Destination net unreachable". This screams a routing issue to me, but I don't see what it would be.

Both sides are running Windows 10. Both sides temporarily have their local firewalls off for testing purposes. I'll harden things later once communications are confirmed. I can only conclude I've missed something when creating the network.

Any insights would be great, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: One interesting thing I've noted. The Public IP of the Server I'm connected to is actually different from device to device. I was testing using two Connector OVPN profiles first. Is that an issue?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: New Setup - Full Mesh - no communication between devices

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:34 am

Hi Tempest8008,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. The best thing to do is contact one of our support engineers so they can take a look at what you are trying to do and how you've configured things and help with testing. This is pretty much the most basic use-case so should most definitely work. But there are many possible network configurations that can be done, and some might not result in what you wish to achieve. Reaching out to us would be a good way to get things working they way you want.

Regarding your two devices connecting to two different servers on OpenVPN Cloud - that is not a problem. OpenVPN Cloud is an inter-connected network where your devices connected to different servers can still communicate with each other.

You can get support at https://openvpn.net/support

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

deanfourie
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: New Setup - Full Mesh - no communication between devices

Post by deanfourie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:46 am

I am also having very similar issues. To be honest, I find this whole setup an absolute joke! It is so clunky and badly designed it actually makes me cringe.

Such a shame.