Acces CCTV/NAS of network connected to 4G/Sat with Draytek

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
Valk
OpenVpn Newbie

Acces CCTV/NAS of network connected to 4G/Sat with Draytek

Post by Valk » Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm

I have a small network setup on rental equipment. This includes a camera/NAS and other services.

This network uses a 4G modem for internet acces when near shore and client internet when out of 4G service. Public IP adresses and firewalls therefore are not fixed and not always in our control to change.

I want to reach the network services from home/office without the use of TeamViewer or other tools that run on a pc.

I was hoping to setup a cloud OpenVPN where a Draytek 2729 router could log in to and provide the services to the cloud OpenVPN.
By connecting to the same VPN from my home/office pc, I hope to contact the remote services.

I tried setting up Networks, Hosts, etc, but I cannot seem to get something up and running. Could someone point me towards the right direction?

For a test setup I try to ping my CCTV from a notebook connected to a phone hotspot. A local pc uses OpenVPN connect to setup a network or host. The notebook can connect via OpenVPN connect as well but I cannot ping the camera. I know that there is a large knwoledge base here, but for the network-noob that I am, most is not readable/clear to me.

Valk
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Acces CCTV/NAS of network connected to 4G/Sat with Draytek

Post by Valk » Fri May 21, 2021 9:43 am

I have 'solved' the issue by setting up a host. A notebook in the remote network can use the host connector to connect to the VPN cloud as a host.

I can now connect to the VPN cloud as a user to approach the host on the VPN ip to use RDP.
https://openvpn.net/for/securing-rdp-for-remote-work/

I am now depending on a remote pc/notebook so that's not super, but for now it's acceptable + 'easy' to setup

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:58 am

Hello Valk,

Sorry, I know the Draytek routers, and they're extremely limited in their capabilities. I don't think it's possible to connect that directly.

However, when OpenVPN3 Linux client v14 beta is out, it will become available for Ubuntu 20 on ARM64. That means a Raspberry Pi could do the job. We'll obviously prepare the necessary documentation for this, although I cannot give you an exact ETA.

You could also now use Raspberry Pi with the normal OpenVPN2 Linux client - that also works just fine with both Access Server and Cloud, and you can set that up even now.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

deanfourie
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by deanfourie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Do you have full subnet access like this?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello deanfourie,

That depends on whether you set up this VPN client as just a normal user, or as a connector. A connector is used to connect a whole subnet through one VPN tunnel to OpenVPN Cloud. You can use NAT or routing. With routing it requires your network to cooperate in terms of some static routes set up on your end.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support