SSH Access

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
D-meist
OpenVpn Newbie

SSH Access

Post by D-meist » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:06 am

I've been trying out OpenVPN. Initially I spun up a self-hosted VPN in Azure, but now I'm trying out the cloud version. When I had my Azure machine hosting the VPN service, I could connect to the Azure machine and then ssh into my vpn connected devices at home. So right now, I have an active vpn established between the cloud service and a linux box here at home on the 192.168.15.0/24. Is there a way I can ssh into the linux box when I'm away at a coffee shop? I don't have a VM anymore in Azure, but maybe there's another way to do it on the OpenVPN cloud side.

Thanks,

-Daniel

D-meist
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: SSH Access

Post by D-meist » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm

I got this figured out. I realized that I could just install the vpn client on my Windows laptop (duh) and ssh from there to the linux box. Both on the same network! I'm super smart. :lol:

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: SSH Access

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Hello D-meist,

Yes that is how it is supposed to be done. OpenVPN Cloud provides an isolated network. It does not provide an interface from outside in, unless it is through a secure VPN connection. So if you have a service you want to offer securely, you connect the device offering that service to OpenVPN Cloud. And if you want other devices to be able to connect to that service, you connect those other devices to OpenVPN Cloud too, and through that, access that particular service.

Technically you could do something like connecting a device to OpenVPN Cloud which exposes a port on the public Internet to gain access to resources in the secure VPN network without being on the VPN network yourself... but that doesn't sound like a particularly good thing to do, when the goal is to ensure the connections must first go through a secure VPN first.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support