OpenVPN DNS Settings getting Removed on changing Proxy Settings/ DNS Settings on any Adapter on System

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Gurmeet Singh
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN DNS Settings getting Removed on changing Proxy Settings/ DNS Settings on any Adapter on System

Post by Gurmeet Singh » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:51 pm

The DNS Config that is pushed by the Access Server to the OpenVPN Mac Client gets deleted when I apply any DNS/ Proxy settings on System

I connected the OpenVPn Client and this is the value of the OpenVPN DNS Dcitionary in scutil

Code: Select all

> show State:/Network/Service/OpenVPNConnect/Info
<dictionary> {
  PrimaryService : 6788E5E1-1D47-40EC-A0A8-314E9FF0AEC2
}
> 
> 
> show Setup:/Network/Service/6788E5E1-1D47-40EC-A0A8-314E9FF0AEC2/DNS
<dictionary> {
  OpenVPNConnectOrigSearchDomains : OpenVPNConnectDeleteValue
  OpenVPNConnectOrigSearchOrder : OpenVPNConnectDeleteValue
  OpenVPNConnectOrigServerAddresses : <array> {
    0 : 8.8.8.8
  }
  SearchDomains : <array> {
    0 : corp.zscaler.com
  }
  SearchOrder : 5000
  ServerAddresses : <array> {
    0 : 1.1.1.1
    1 : 8.8.4.4
  }
}
Now if I either append one DNS Server in the DNS Settings of my Wifi or Change Proxy Settings (like I applied new pac file in Automatic proxy Configuration) then if u check openVPN dictionary again. You will see the Access Server Pushed DNS Server and DNS Suffix is removed.

Below is the output when I added 3.3.3.3 in my system DNS. Same issue happens on changing proxy settings as well

Code: Select all

> show Setup:/Network/Service/6788E5E1-1D47-40EC-A0A8-314E9FF0AEC2/DNS
<dictionary> {
  ServerAddresses : <array> {
    0 : 8.8.8.8
    1 : 3.3.3.3
  }
}

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN DNS Settings getting Removed on changing Proxy Settings/ DNS Settings on any Adapter on System

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Hello,

Yes, this is an issue that we are aware of. On the one hand it is kind of expected that if you change DNS settings that those DNS settings then take precedence. But obviously it is not desirable that it wipes out existing configuration. But what is truly odd is that even when you do not touch the DNS settings in the network control panel of macOS, but touch some other setting like proxy server setting, it still wipes out the DNS settings that OpenVPN implements at start of VPN connection. This seems counterintuitive - why would a proxy server setting wipe out DNS settings? It is a bit strange.

We'll be discussing internally a bit about how this could be addressed.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Gurmeet Singh
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN DNS Settings getting Removed on changing Proxy Settings/ DNS Settings on any Adapter on System

Post by Gurmeet Singh » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:44 am

Thanks Johan, looking forward to some configuration to make this work.

regards,
Gurmeet Singh