OpenVPN and local network simultaneously

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Domi
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN and local network simultaneously

Post by Domi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 am

Hello I'm noob in MacBook usage. In my MacBook I have installed OpenVPN with privat key security, when I start OpenVPN which work fine, I can't use web browser(I don't have internet connection) or something else which need internet connection. With vpn I'm connected to remote systems using internet connection and this connection work fine, but I want to use OpenVPN, and internet connection in same time, I'm try to find solution, without success. Somebody find solution for this 'issue'?

Thanks in advance.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN and local network simultaneously

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Hello Domi,

Sounds to me like your VPN server is misconfigured. It is possibly sending instructions to redirect your Internet traffic, and possibly not sending a valid DNS server, so DNS queries fail and it seems like your Internet is not working. This is just a guess. There could be other reasons for the problem you are experiencing. For example a local firewall program may not like the Internet being redirected through the VPN tunnel and is blocking it. Or perhaps Internet access is blocked on the VPN server side even though it is instructing your VPN client to send Internet traffic through the VPN tunnel.

What you should do is contact whoever manages your VPN server and ask if it is possible to use split-tunnel. With split-tunnel, your Internet traffic is left alone, and only particular (private) subnets that need to go through the VPN tunnel, will go through the VPN tunnel, instead of ALL traffic. That could simply avoid the problem.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Domi
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Domi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello Johan, thank you for your answer, I solve the problem installing Tunnelblick, where I find option to do not set dns name server, and now my vpn work perfectly.
Thank's again.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Hello Domi,

That kind of confirms that the DNS server being pushed doesn't work right. Probably should still contact the admin of your VPN server to get them to solve it. At least you found a workaround.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support