OpenVPN Connect does not set DNS on MAC

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
sysadminbranca
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect does not set DNS on MAC

Post by sysadminbranca » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi people,

I'm migrating openvpn for a company from manual server config to access server, I already configured the server and now I'm validating the client connect.

I tried to connect with openvpn connect and de DNS configs is not set on the MAC.

I tried the same config file on tunneblick and worked fine.

The reason to change to access server is the automation on configuration users management.

Be free to ask for more information.

Thanks all!!

Stephanie_Sy
OpenVPN User

Re: OpenVPN Connect does not set DNS on MAC

Post by Stephanie_Sy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:31 am

Install your OpenVPN client program on your chosen client system. In our example we will be using a Windows 10 Professional client system with the OpenVPN Connect Client installed, and connected to the OpenVPN Access Server. Next open a console session or an SSH session to the OpenVPN Access Server, and obtain root privileges. We will be using the tool tcpdump to monitor activity on port 53 TCP and UDP, the default port where DNS queries are handled. We will be flushing the local DNS resolver cache on the client side, and then resolve a number of domains simply by pinging them by name. In our test situation, there are only a handful of clients connected, and the activity of DNS queries is very low, so we can monitor it easily. If you are testing on a production system and the tcpdump command gives too much output, you can append a grep filter by IP address, to filter queries coming only from your specific VPN client's IP address, to make reading and locating the DNS query results easier.