IP not the same on terminal and chrome

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
amaury922
OpenVpn Newbie

IP not the same on terminal and chrome

Post by amaury922 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi,

I've configured an openvpn on my server to access SSH only behind the VPN.
Works like a charm on my android but i can't connect with my mac.
On my mac, when connected to the VPN, the

Code: Select all

curl ipecho.net/plain ; echo
gives me the VPN IP.
BUT when i log to my ssh with UFW Disabled, i can see that it ain't the VPN IP that is connected.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advanced !

Amaury

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: IP not the same on terminal and chrome

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:11 am

Hello amaury922,

Being on the VPN is like being connected to a local network behind a router. In this case the router is the VPN server. If resources can be reached locally, the traffic remains local. Therefore you see a local IP used when accessing an SSH server that can be reached via VPN. If resources cannot be reached locally, then it goes through the router's Internet connection. And then you'll see the public IP of this router's Internet connection.

If you want this traffic to go through the router's Internet connection in both cases, then ensure that the target you are reaching can only be reached through the Internet. Like using a public IP to connect to the target resources.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support