Routing issue

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Ghislain
OpenVpn Newbie

Routing issue

Post by Ghislain » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Hello,

I'm using OpenVPN on a Macbook as client and OpenVPN on Linux as server at work. My network at work is 192.168.x.x.

When I share my smartphone internet connection with my Macbook, the VPN works fine and I can connect the server at work.

But when I'm trying from home it's not working, I can't connect servers at work.

I think the issue comes from the network at home is also 192.168.x.x. When I go on 192.168.1.1 from home with VPN connected, I've the home router page and not the touter page from work.

Internet connection works fine. OpenVPN Client give the address 10.8.x.x

What do you think ? How can I solve it ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Enjoy your day

Ghislain

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Routing issue

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi Ghislain,

This really isn't a client issue. You appear to be up against the fact that you can't have more than one route to a given logical netblock. If home and work are both using the same network address, you need to change one or the other. Experienced VPN administrators know to avoid the common RFC 1918 choices for off-the-shelf routers.

I would definitely choose to change the work network, because this same problem will hit other users, as well as many who might try to connect from an open wifi hotspot.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:18 pm

openvpn_inc wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm
avoid the common RFC 1918 choices for off-the-shelf routers.
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... gConflicts
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

funwisely
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by funwisely » Tue May 16, 2023 1:55 pm

It seems that both of the private networks (Home and Office VPN) using same subnet 192.168.x.x If you look at detailed VPN documentation, it may help you. Thanks!