Apple Silicon (M1) Native Support

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
QuickMacQuestion
OpenVpn Newbie

Apple Silicon (M1) Native Support

Post by QuickMacQuestion » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Hello,
Is there any word on when an Apple Silicon (M1) build of OpenVPN Connect will be released? It looks like the x86_64 version works fine with Rosetta, but it would be nice to have a native version.

Thanks!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Native Support

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 am

Hello,

We will be doing a native build but not right away. Reason for that is that we tested our current version and found that it works completely stable on M1 and has close to no performance loss either. As you say, having a native version is nice to have, but not critical. At the moment we are focused on getting OpenVPN Connect v3.3 rolled out across all supported platforms. After that we'll work on native builds for M1 processor type for a next major release, among other items that people are asking for.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

CBACIT
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by CBACIT » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm

How long would it take to make a major release past 3.3?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Hello CBACIT,

At this point, with OpenVPN Connect v3.3 still in its rollout phase, trying to indicate a release date for the next major version is purely speculation at the moment. I'm sorry, I cannot provide you with an estimate at this time.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Atlanticopuro
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Atlanticopuro » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:12 pm

Greetings. Please, can you tell me a link to download OpenVpn conect for my new Imac from 2021 with M1 chip ?. It is very important to me. Thanks for your help. Best regards. :?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:40 pm

Hello Atlanticopuro,

Latest version is available from our website, right on our frontpage. This is the direct link to the relevant page that contains latest downloads for macOS:
https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-mac-os/

This version is completely compatible with Apple products with M1 chip.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

Atlanticopuro
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Atlanticopuro » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi Johan,

In these days I have delved into this forum and have learned a lot about rossetta, the new apple silicon m1 processor and the compatibility it gives without being a native application. Thank you very much for your response and guidance. Great job yours. A hug.