Win 10 PC OpenVPN connect app will not start

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
raylo32
OpenVpn Newbie

Win 10 PC OpenVPN connect app will not start

Post by raylo32 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:09 am

Been using OpenVPN on this Win 10 laptop for a couple of years and all of a sudden the client Connect app will just not start up. So I can't even try to establish an OpenVPN session or RD session. My iPhone OpenVPN Connect client app works fine and my Open VPN server is working fine. But I really need to use the laptop for this more than the phone. What is going on?? Did a Win 10 update maybe break the client Connect app? I have since deleted the client Connect app and reinstalled it, made no difference. The app just fails to start... doesn't throw any errors or anything.

raylo32
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Win 10 PC OpenVPN connect app will not start

Post by raylo32 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:23 pm

Well, I ran the Windows program compatibility tool on the OpenVPN Connect app that wouldn't start. I let it pick settings and it used some for Vista as near as I can tell. But the program runs again and works normally except now I get a pop up to allow admin permission for the program to run. I did also try that before the fix and it didn't work. No idea why the program compatibility settings needed to be changed since OpenVPN Connect client had been running fine on Win 10 for years. So maybe a recent Win 10 update did break it and it may take some time for them to revamp the app. I dunno. Is no one else seeing this issue??

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Hello raylo32,

A bit of a shot in the dark, but can you try closing the OpenVPN Connect app, undoing the program compatibility setting, clearing out the %temp% directory on this computer, rebooting, and trying again?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

asynchronous13
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by asynchronous13 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:05 pm

I had similar symptoms as described by raylo32. I installed OpenVPN connect and it worked once. After rebooting, I could not get it to work again. I couldn't even get OpenVPN Connect to run. There was no tray icon either (even in the hidden area).

On the advice of the comment from openvpn_inc, I deleted the %TEMP% directory and restarted the laptop. After restarting, OpenVPN Connect launched like normal, and it appears to be working now. There's even a tray icon. I rebooted once just to be sure, and it still seems ok. Thanks for that tip.

eijk
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by eijk » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:15 pm

This saved my day:

Code: Select all

del %temp%\.ovpn-connect-lockfile

Bazzu85
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Bazzu85 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:05 am

guys, clearing the %TEMP% folder worked. thx

Bazzu85
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Bazzu85 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi guys,
I have the same problem on a Hyper-v Windows 10 PRO machine..
after the reboot I see a OpenVpn Connect program listed in task manager with 0% cpu used.
If I kill it manually I can start the GUI.