About the auth-nocache option

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
jamesp-brightpattern
OpenVpn Newbie

About the auth-nocache option

Post by jamesp-brightpattern » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Hi,

If we want our OpenVPN client to not save passwords in memory, do we need to set the "auth-nocache" option on both the client and the server, or is it sufficient to set it on the server only?

Are there any client side options that we can add to the client configuration, without touching the server configuration, which will have the OpenVPN client not save passwords in memory? I tried setting the "auth-nocache" option on both iOS and Windows clients, but it ended up being an unused option in both cases.

Thank you,
James Pedersen

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: About the auth-nocache option

Post by skper2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:26 pm

jamesp-brightpattern wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:00 pm
Hi,

If we want our OpenVPN client to not save passwords in memory, do we need to set the "auth-nocache" option on both the client and the server, or is it sufficient to set it on the server only?

Are there any client side options that we can add to the client configuration, without touching the server configuration, which will have the OpenVPN client not save passwords in memory? I tried setting the "auth-nocache" option on both iOS and Windows clients, but it ended up being an unused option in both cases.

Thank you,
James Pedersen
In my experience, I place the auth-nocache in the client file. After that, there was no red warning message I see. I hope this help.

jamesp-brightpattern
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jamesp-brightpattern » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:29 pm

@skper2 What OpenVPN client where you using that recognized the auth-nocache option?

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:28 am

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:29 pm
@skper2 What OpenVPN client where you using that recognized the auth-nocache option?
Hi james-brightpattern, sorry I just got your message. It's version 2.4.9

csspost
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by csspost » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:08 am

skper2 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:26 pm
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:00 pm
Hi,

Thank you,
James Pedersen
In my experience, I place the auth-nocache in the client file. After that, there was no red warning message I see. I hope this help.

Hello, What if you didn't use a text file? I just put the username and password, and it in the Overview section. So where Do I put the "auth-nocache" statement?