BLACK OpenVPN Connect window on Windows 7

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
ddauger
OpenVpn Newbie

BLACK OpenVPN Connect window on Windows 7

Post by ddauger » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:56 am

First-time installation of OpenVPN Connect v3.3.4 on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PC results in a completely Black window where the GUI for the OpenVPN Connect program should be displaying a GUI. See attached:

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Without a working GUI, I can't select anything or add a VPN client configuration.

I've tried installing and uninstalling both the 64 and 32 bit versions of the OpenVPN Connect v3.3.4 and it makes no difference. I've removed the AntiVirus software, and it makes no difference. I've made sure to "Always Trust" the OpenVPN driver during installation. On two _other_ Windows 7 PCs, I've successfully installed OpenVPN Connect v3.3.4 and had no problem with the GUI displaying properly. What could possibly be different about this particular Windows 7 PC to cause a black GUI? Help?

Irwinz
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: BLACK OpenVPN Connect window on Windows 7

Post by Irwinz » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 pm

I'm sure topic starter solved the problem by now, but to make solution easily discoverable I'll post it here.

We encountered the same problem with some of our users, and it was resolved in most straightforward way: they needed to install updated C runtime libraries from Microsoft.
That's the difference between working and not working installations of Windows 7: whether user installed any program that pulled updated vcredist or no.
So just grab appropriate installer from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/wi ... w=msvc-170

Also it's worth mentioning that Windows 7 missed root certificate update. Our users had to install updated ISRG Root X1 manually to continue browsing. Somehow that problem still emerges. even though old certificate expired good half a year ago.