OpenVPN Connect v3 for community server

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
cheekymustard
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect v3 for community server

Post by cheekymustard » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:44 am

Hi,

we've had reasonable success connecting with prior versions of OpenVPN Connect, but the v3 is giving us issues.
My logic would be to use OpenVPN GUI to connect to an OpenVPN Community server,
but I thought I'd ask if there should be any blockers for using Connect on anything other than Access server.

The server version we're using: 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.3
We use the client config to push across several important settings, such as static routes, DNS server settings, etc.
The connection and authentication succeed, but these additional options don't get applied.
Tested on Windows 10.

Any similar experiences? Any advice?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Connect v3 for community server

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:16 pm

cheekymustard wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:44 am
we've had reasonable success connecting with prior versions of OpenVPN Connect, but the v3 is giving us issues.
My logic would be to use OpenVPN GUI to connect to an OpenVPN Community server,
but I thought I'd ask if there should be any blockers for using Connect on anything other than Access server.
Hi Mustard,

While Connect is designed for Access Server and the Cloud service, it should be fully compatible with community-version servers also.
cheekymustard wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:44 am
The server version we're using: 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.3
We use the client config to push across several important settings, such as static routes, DNS server settings, etc.
The connection and authentication succeed, but these additional options don't get applied.
Tested on Windows 10.

Any similar experiences? Any advice?
--push is a server option, so I am not sure what you're saying. You might be interested in --pull-filter? See these (and more!) in the manual.

You might also want to take this over to the Server Administration forum.

hth, regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

cheekymustard
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by cheekymustard » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:35 am

Hi openvpn_inc,
thanks for picking this up.

Pardon my wording. In the client config we use options such as

Code: Select all

route 10.160.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.255.252.1
dhcp-option DNS 10.0.0.78
but these are not applied on the client side, unfortunately.
That's what I need help with.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:53 pm

Hello cheekymustard,

Those options are supported by OpenVPN Connect. Setting a DNS server is supported, and setting a route is supported too. The only exception is setting a route with a gateway that is not the VPN tunnel gateway server itself on the iOS platform. That one doesn't support an external gateway.

I suggest you take another close look at your configuration, particularly any pushed options, that may be overriding or conflicting with what you're setting in the client config. Also take a close look at the log file to see what settings it is actually picking up.

From my end at least I can confirm that these directives definitely do work on OpenVPN Connect v2 and OpenVPN Connect v3, both inside the client config file and pushed from the server side. The problem you're facing appears very likely to be one of fixing your configuration.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support