OpenVPN Connect v3

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
xbiohazardx
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect v3

Post by xbiohazardx » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am

I am running the latest version of OVPN Connect and can't seem to get the launch after device reboot feature to work.

Am I miss understanding it's purpose? I read it as being a start on boot option. Is that right?
If it is then it isn't working. Regardless of the option I choose for it. ie. Start app, Connect to latest or Restore connection.
If that's not the purpose of that feature then what is it?

More importantly is there a way to use the task scheduler to not just start the app but get it to connect? I am connecting to an Asus router at home so the guide I found on the OVPN website about selecting option from specific server software doesn't apply.
Is there a string I can add to the *.ovpn config file to force and auto connection? The config file I am using was exported directly from the Asus router.

Thanks in advance.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Connect v3

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Hello xbiohazardx,

There are 4 levels to this setting;

Start app. This starts the app when you login to your account after a reboot, nothing more.

Connect latest. This starts the app when you login to your account after a reboot, and it will also use the last used connection and start it automatically. If a password is required the app will popup and ask you for it.

Restore connection. This starts the app when you login to your account after a reboot. If there was a VPN connection active when you shut down your computer, it will be started automatically. If a password is required the app will popup and ask you for it. If there was no VPN connection active when you shut down, the app will only start but no VPN connection will be started.

None. This doesn't automatically start the app, and no connections are started after reboot.

If you find that on your Windows computer it doesn't work this way, then you are having behavior on your computer that is not standard. Are you perhaps configuring OpenVPN Connect v3 as a system service daemon? Or did you disable the app from starting in the task manager or in the registry? This behavior I described I just tested out on a Windows 10 system and it worked. So if it doesn't work for you, I suggest that you check the items I mentioned, and if you still have problems, I suggest you contact https://openvpn.net/support and submit details about what you have done, so that we can determine if this is a bug or can try to figure out what's blocking it from working as it should on your system.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support