OpenVPN Connect vs. OpenVPN Gui (with Synology)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
jonathan4462
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect vs. OpenVPN Gui (with Synology)

Post by jonathan4462 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 am

Hello everyone

This feels like a question that should have been asked hundreds of times, but I promise I have searched for the answer! I found a thread from 2019 that almost answered the question, but I'm still a little confused.

With recent updates to OpenVPN Connect, I can't see many functional differences (for us, at least) between it and the OpenVPN GUI client for Windows - except that OpenVPN Connect feels a little more 'polished' to use. I say 'polished' because while I don't mind the OpenVPN GUI, the users of the VPN I'm setting up will be 'reassured' by the feel of OpenVPN Connect... I'm using a Synology Diskstation with the VPN package, so that users of a non-profit can access a shared drive. That has been working fine for years, but back when OpenVPN GUI was a little difficult to install I ended up with lots of uses on PPTP and I'd like to migrate them to something more secure. I'm really confused, because OpenVPN Connect VPN and OpenVPN GUI are both free, and both seem to work fine.

So - my question is: Is there any reason why we shouldn't use OpenVPN Connect? Is is 'supposed' to be used with a (differently?) licensed server? Are there planned developments that will break it for our use-case? Is it bad practice for some reason?

I hope I've given enough information for someone knowledgeable to let me know the answer, but I will update with more information whenever I can!

Thank you!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Connect vs. OpenVPN Gui (with Synology)

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi Jon,

Both OpenVPN Connect (our company proprietary software) and OpenVPN GUI (GPL free software, our Community version) are free/gratis for any use.

If Connect has a software bug, OpenVPN Support would consider such a ticket, but in reality, you should probably go through your VPN provider or server software support. (If that's OpenVPN Cloud or Access Server, that too would be OpenVPN Support.) I am not aware of any plans to tie Connect to our proprietary Access Server and our Cloud service. That wouldn't make much sense.

OpenVPN GUI is supported by the community, including at these very forums (see the Board Index above.)

Bottom line, choose whichever one feels best for your use. I'd also suggest a free trial Access Server (you can have two concurrent connections without paying) or Cloud account (three connections for free.) Connect can integrate with these in ways which might help your users.

HTH, regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support