import ovpn file to "OpenVPN Connect gui" on windows

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
david123
OpenVpn Newbie

import ovpn file to "OpenVPN Connect gui" on windows

Post by david123 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Hello ,
I have "OpenVPN Connect 2.5.0.136" on my windows
also i have a working ovpn configuration file that when I run it from cmd - it connect to my vpn network.

when I try to import it to - it said "the connection has been saved" but I can't see it
and when I try to connet to it - I get error "could not establish connection with VPN server"

when is missing for me?

and another (maybe related )question :
when I run the open vpn in cmd it ask me to enter Private Key
how do I enter it only 1 time so it will not ask me again ?

*** using windows 7

Thanks,

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: import ovpn file to "OpenVPN Connect gui" on windows

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 am

Hello david123,

First, that client is considered deprecated, and is seriously old. We do still at the moment do only major security issue fixes on OpenVPN Connect v2 but that will end soon too. And if you do need to continue using OpenVPN Connect v2, please consider upgrading at least to the latest version of OpenVPN Connect v2 - version 2.7.1.111. It is entirely possible the import problem is resolved there.

Or perhaps not. Because you appear to be using an encrypted private key. I am pretty sure OpenVPN Connect v2 does not support that. OpenVPN Connect v3 does. And that is the latest available OpenVPN Connect software which we recommend to use.

Regarding having to enter the password to decrypt the encrypted private key every time you start a connection that using that encrypted private key - that is entirely correct and by design. If you don't want this, then don't have the private key encrypted.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

david123
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: import ovpn file to "OpenVPN Connect gui" on windows

Post by david123 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:57 am

if I download a new client , will it also import the working connections? (I have now 2 working connections on the Client2)
and also will they work?

Thanks ,

****update

I have download "Connect3"
also when I try to import the configuration file - I get error

Code: Select all

Selected file has incorrect profile configuration

Error message:Program,Program,Program,C:Program
all the file are located here:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\profile\Myoffice.ovpn
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\MyOffice\ca.crt,client,secret

so what am I missing?

now this is strange
I have found in my computer also OpenVPN GUI V11.10.0.0 - and here I can import the new profile and it's working