Client on windows vs router - access to internet

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
poochim
OpenVpn Newbie

Client on windows vs router - access to internet

Post by poochim » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am

Hi, I am encountering a difference between using client on windows vs client on my Asus router in regards to internet connection on server.

So, on the server at my workplace, I have set the openvpn server settings to "Client will use VPN to access Local network only". Server is an ASUS RT-AC86U

Everything is well when i use openvpn connect on windows - I can access the Network on the server side, and my pc uses the home internet which is blazing fast.

I recently bought a new ASUS router for my home, an ASUS TUF-AX5400. It has VPN Fusion which allows specific devices to use specific VPN.
I have set my home PC to connect to my work openvpn server via the router, and my pc does not have any problem connecting to the network on the server side. However, I realize that it also uses the internet via the openvpn server as I notice a severe drop in speed. When i check whatismyip.com, the ip shown is similar to my work ip address

Why is this occuring despite me setting Client will use VPN to access Local network only?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Client on windows vs router - access to internet

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Your server is pushing --redirect-gateway