OpenVPN GUI vs OpenVPN Connect Client - Internet works with GUI, but not via Connect

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
dcs730
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN GUI vs OpenVPN Connect Client - Internet works with GUI, but not via Connect

Post by dcs730 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:01 am

I have configured an Open VPN Server service on a TrueNAS box and work great.

The TrueNAS OpenVPN generates the xxx.ovpn file to be imported into the OpenVPN GUI and OpenVPN Client Connect application.

The TrueNAS is configured so a VPN connection is established and all local LAN services are accessible.
All internet browsing traffic when an OpenVPN session is established travels via the remote internet gateway (Not via the OpenVPN connection).

When I use the same xxx.opvn file in OpenVPN GUI, a connection is established - LAN traffic across the VPN is OK, and all internet browsing traffic goes via the remote PC gateway. So all works as expected.

When I use this same xxx.ovpn file and import it into the OpenVPN Client Connect application - LAN traffic across the VPN is OK.
But no internet traffic at all. It will not even resolve a DNS Name like : ping www.google.com from a command prompt.

I like the OpenVPN Client Connect - as it is easier to use, but limited with no internet access?

Is there a config or change required somewhere?
Why does it work with GUI but not Connect?

digitalelk
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN GUI vs OpenVPN Connect Client - Internet works with GUI, but not via Connect

Post by digitalelk » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:39 am

Hi dcs730.. Did you ever find a resolution for this as I am having the same problem and can't find a fix despite hours of searching..?

fettfoen
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN GUI vs OpenVPN Connect Client - Internet works with GUI, but not via Connect

Post by fettfoen » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:48 am

I have the same problem. DNS is not working with "OpenVPN Connect Client". OpenVPN GUI no problem.