Seamless tunnel does not engage after reconnect

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
flyingmget
OpenVpn Newbie

Seamless tunnel does not engage after reconnect

Post by flyingmget » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:53 am

Hi there,

I wrote a little shell bat file and check my ip once every second. I wanted to check how the Openvpn Connect behaves when there is wifi disconnect. So while i was printing my ip (which was my vpn ip) on cmd terminal, I disconnected the internet (disconnected from wifi). At this time, the on/off switch in the Openvpn Connect app turned orange indicating that it is trying to reconnect. Through out the entire time the seamless tunnel is checked.

Now, while still printing my ip on the code terminal, I connected the wifi back. And, here is the problem, for maybe 1 or 2 seconds, I noticed that the shell printed my non-vpn ip.

Is this a known issue? Am I missing something?

Thank you!

flyingmget
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Seamless tunnel does not engage after reconnect

Post by flyingmget » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:08 pm

Maybe I need to provide a little background

System: Windows 10
Open VPN Connect: 3.3.1

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:20 pm

flyingmget wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:08 pm
Maybe I need to provide a little background
Nope .. you need to provide a lot

What-ever you are trying to do, you will probably have better luck with a search.

flyingmget
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by flyingmget » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 pm

Sorry for lack of clarity. By all means, I understand that trouble shooting such problems are very delicate and could be caused by a dozen reasons. I would be very happy to explain my problem in depth if I know where do I need to elaborate further. Here is my second attempt to explain the scenario/concern.

Scenario: I am using OpenVPN to tunnel my connection through my house internet IP (which is in USA) from abroad.

Concern: I need to be 100% sure that when OpenVPN Connect is on, my internet does not exit the VPN tunnel. That's why I thought Seamless Tunnel is my solution and so I have it on! My understanding is that using the seamless tunnel, I would only be able to connect to internet through the OpenVPN and more importantly, in case of an internet disconnect and upon re-connection, my internet does not exit this tunnel (and so my IP does not change).

Meanwhile, I have noticed that on my windows machine (windows 10) anytime time there is a internet disconnect (which is indicated by OpenVPN on screen notification) I still have internet. So I got suspicious and did the above test.

I still don't understand the nature of the disconnect (and whether it is cause by internet bandwidth or its related to OpenVPN), but I get disconnected couple of the time during the day and that when I realized I have this issue.

On a side note, I have a macbook pro that does not behave this way and there is no internet connection when OpenVPN gets disconnected!